Gottman Couples’ Therapy
How are Gottman Couples’ Sessions Different than Traditional Couples’ Sessions?
- Many couple sessions look like individual therapy with the other partner watching. In Gottman couples’ sessions, the “patient” is the relationship. Both partners register as “identified patients”.
- The therapist in Gottman Therapy is a coach, not a referee. Partners talk to one another and learn new skills to allow them to communicate more effectively.
- The therapist in Gottman Therapy hopes to teach the couple a concrete set of tools so that they no longer need the therapist.
There is an assessment process which is typically completed within the first three sessions.
The Assessment Process
- The Initial Couples’ Session – Information is gathered about the history of the relationship
- One, 45-Minute Individual Session for Each Partner – Information about the family of origin, trauma, and previous relationships is gathered.
- The Gottman Relationship Checkup – Couples complete this 90-minute, online assessment to receive a “big picture overview” of their relationship.
Frequently Asked Questions
Couples’ sessions typically run 90-120 minutes, whereas individual sessions last 50-60 minutes
After the first three assessment sessions, and the completion of the Gottman Relationship Checkup, couples attend an average of 9 sessions. The Art of Science and Love Workshop for Couples is also recommended for all couples. The workshop allows couples to learn all the Gottman Interventions and techniques and begin to achieve mastery of each.
We accept most private insurances at GJB Health Services; however, Gloria does not accept United Insurance, though other GJB Health Services therapists do accept it. Gloria also does not accept Medicaid, Badger Care or Forward Health.
GJB Health Services Accepts The Following Insurances
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Arise / WPS
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Children’s Community HP
- Health Partners
- Health EOS
- I-Care (Dr. Bannasch only)
- Network Health Plan
- Network Health Plan Prevea
- PHCS / Savility
- Security Health Plan
- United Health Care
- WEA Trust
How Much Do Sessions Cost?
Private Pay Rates
Gottman Relationship Checkup *
Insurance rates are a bit more than the private pay rate.
*Insurance cannot be billed for the Gottman Relationship Checkup